54 17'S 036 30'W. South Georgia, Southern Ocean.

Follow Matt Kenney during his deployment in South Georgia, working as a Boating Officer and Coxswain for the British Antarctic Survey.

Read Matt's posts with news, reviews and extracts from his Journals, and see photo and video posts to show you some of the work the Antarctic Survey are doing in the Southern Ocean, and also provide an insight into life on a British Antarctic research station.

Matt will also provide accounts of his work at sea and ashore on Humber Destroyer RHIBs and 11m twin jet drive Pilot vessels along side the team at the King Edward Point research facility.

Matt arrived in South Georgia on the 28th October 2010.

Friday 7 January 2011

New Year Welcome

Hi Everyone,

Firstly, I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and New Year.  Thanks to everybody who sent cards, and emails; it really is wonderful to hear from you all.

So the Christmas and New year period is over, and the last of the Turkey Sandwiches are a distant memory.  A new year here at KEP awaits, so I thought I would begin by giving you guys a little insight into what I will be doing over the next 12 months.

Firsty, the blog.  I intend to markedly increase the number of posts.  It has been difficult during the settling in period, however things are calming down, so hopefully I will be in a far more organised state and be able to tell you guys what I am doing more often.  I will be aiming for at least 3 posts per week, hopefully more.  The first mini feature you will be getting over the next few weeks is a "meet the team" feature, where I will at last introduce you to the amazing folk I work with down here, and tell you a little bit about how it all works.

I will be continuing to support Ashley in my role as a boating officer.  We have some exciting stuff coming up, including visiting warships, and perhaps even some experimental boating testing some new gear.  More on this when the time comes.  I am also working on a project looking into Maritime Search and Rescue in remote areas, and the ability to create a simplified method of determining search areas and managing search unit deployment.  It is possible I may post some papers on the subject over time.

On a more personal level, I am continuing with my health and fitness regime!  I have lost 7Kg since I have been here, and plan to lose a little bit more.  Time in the Gym and hiking are making up the exercise.  Sam, the doctor is recording results and we go, so perhaps later this year I will have some results for you in graph form?

I am also still keen to receive any questions you have, and I will post the answers.  I promise to answer as honestly as possible!!

best regards for 2011,
Matt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment. I will be sure to reply to any questions you have!

Matt Kenney 2010.